Daniel O'Donohue is the host & producer of the Mapscaping podcast & website. We talk about Daniel's journey to creating and growing the Mapscaping podcast & brand, what creating content looks like, specifically for geospatial but also quite broadly. Towards the end of the episode we talk about different life paths, Daniel shares some of the challenges he's had and how he overcame some of them.
Welcome to the 5th episode of Minds Behind Maps!
This is a bit of a special episode, though maybe one of my favorite conversations I've had the chance to have so far. We talk about creating content online, it gets a bit meta about geospatial podcasting but we also touch on some of the different paths one takes in life.
- 4:15 : Beginning of episode, Daniel introduces himself
- 9:20 : The beginning of the Mapscaping podcast
- 15:30 : Leading a conversation
- 18:40 : Daniel’s editorial decisions
- 23:40 : Mapscaping’s “Grand Plan”
- 26:25 : Podcasting as a medium
- 37:50 : Finding one's voice online
- 39:55 : Marketing the podcast & spreading the word
- 44:30 : Targeting a specific audience
- 51:00 : Building an audience is the true barrier to entry
- 55:00 : Where does the name “Mapscaping” come from?
- 57:40 : Starting doesn’t require much means
- 59:50 : Inspiring others
- 1:07:45 : The accessibility of the people within the geospatial field
- 1:11:50 : Building communities
- 1:15:05 : Building a business around Mapscaping
- 1:20:45 : Monetizing a podcast
- 1:30:10 : Daniel’s previous lives
- 1:44:15 : Daniel's last thoughts & media suggestions
Links towards topics in the conversation: